Resources for You. And Your Family.

Welcome to the family center. This page is designed to assist parents who may have questions about the system, be involved in the system, or simply need resources to strengthen their families. Here, we try to answer some common questions and provide links and information for other agencies and resources where families can find support.

Quick Guide: Parent Resources

Click below for a quick resource to keep phone numbers and websites on hand. Links and resources can also be found below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Our answers to FAQ may tell you what you need to know. Click below to find out.

Notice of Rights and Remedies

Click below to review the Department of Human Services advisement of rights and remedies upon removal of children.

Parent Resources Quick Guide

  • 24-Hour Hotlines
  • Legal Agencies
  • Additional Resources
24-Hour Hotlines

National Domestic Violence Hotline


For Deaf: TTY 1‐800‐787‐3224


National Suicide Prevention Hotline


Colorado Crisis Services

1‐844‐493‐8255 | Text TALK to 38255


Relationship problems, Family crises, Anxiety, Depression, Substance abuse, Suicidal thoughts, Bullying, Stress, Disability

The Blue Bench

Sexual Assault Hotline for Women & Men

303‐322‐7273 English

303‐329‐0031 Español


Legal Agencies

Office of Respondent Parents’ Counsel

Counsel for indigent parents in dependency and neglect proceedings



Colorado Child Protection Ombudsman

Independent review of child protection services complaints



Office of the Child’s Representative

Guardian ad litem (GAL) counsel for children in dependency and neglect proceedings



Colorado Legal Services

For low income Coloradans seeking legal assistance and legal advocates


Colorado CASA

Court Appointed Special Advocates for children, services are regionally administered



Disability Law Colorado



Additional Resources



Food Assistance

Cash Assistance

Supplemental Nutrition Program for

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Child Care Assistance

Home Instruction for Parents of Preschool

Youngsters (HIPPY)

Parents as Teachers (PAT) Nurse‐Family Partnership (NFP)

for first‐time moms

Head Start

Healthy Steps

School Nutrition Programs

Preschool Special Education

Early Intervention Colorado for Infants,

Toddlers and Families (EI Colorado) Low Income Energy Assistance Program


SafeCare Colorado

Colorado Child Care Referral Line



Call 2‐1‐1 Colorado


Connects families to social and community resources best suited to meet their needs

Rental/Utility Bills Assistance Housing/Emergency Shelter Food/Clothing Banks

Mental Health Assistance

Dealing With and Preventing Abuse GED/ESL Classes

Suicide Intervention and Prevention Medical Clinics, Rx Assistance

Youth Programs

Support Groups

Legal Assistance

Colorado Coalition Against

Domestic Violence

303‐ 831‐9632


Head Start Information



Colorado Coalition for the Homeless

Moves Coloradans into safe homes, keeps families together, and provides critical health care and support services for people experiencing homelessness



Colorado Homeless Families

Long term transitional housing



Denver Alternatives to 9-1-1


A list of resources to call for assistance with mental health, homelessness, food assistance, and more.

Colorado Coalition against Sexual Assault

Provides sexual assault crisis resources and support


Colorado Cross‐Disability Coalition



Frequently Asked Questions

+ I didn’t qualify for court appointed counsel. Where can I find an attorney that will work with me on payment?

The ORPC maintains a list of qualified attorneys who charge lower rates, or work with clients on payment plans. Fill out our contact form and let us know where your case is located and we can send you a list of attorneys.

+ What are the laws that govern my case?

Dependency and neglect cases follow the Colorado Children’s Code, which is Title 19 of the Colorado Revised Statutes. You can access the Colorado Revised Statutes on LexisNexis.

County departments of human/social services are required to follow Volume 7 of the Colorado Code of Regulations. Volume 7 can be found on the Colorado Secretary of State’s office.

+ What are my rights in a D&N case?

If your child was removed from your care, you should have received a Notice of Rights and Remedies. You can find a copy in our 

Family Resource Center.

+ My parental rights were terminated last year, but I am doing better now. What can I do?

Parents in dependency and neglect cases have only a short period of time to file an appeal. Appeals must be filed within 21 days of the day the termination order was signed.  If you did not appeal, or lost your appeal, your case is over, and there are few options for legally regaining custody of your children.  We encourage all parents who have had parental rights terminated to continue to work on the issues that brought your case to the court.  Children often try to find their parents when they are teenagers and adults.  It is important that parents are able to support their children when they come to you when they are older, so continuing to work on sobriety, stability, and managing mental health is important for you and your children in the future.

+ I don’t know if my parental rights were terminated. How can I find out?

You can go to the court where your case was held and ask the clerk for a copy of any termination order.

+ How long do I have to file an appeal?

Parents in dependency and neglect cases can file appeals at two different times. The first is at the beginning of a case, after both adjudication and disposition. The second is when the case is completely finished, with either an order terminating parental rights, or an order allocating parental responsibilities or awarding guardianship. Parents must file their appeal within 21 days of the day the court signed the order.  Contact your attorney right away and tell her/him you want to appeal if you are within the 21 day time frame.If you are outside that 21 day time frame, except in very rare circumstances, you no longer have the ability to appeal the decision in the dependency and neglect case.

+ I don’t know how to contact my attorney. Can you give me that information?

Yes we can help you with contact information for your attorney. Please send us a message on our contact form.

+ I can’t reach my attorney, or my attorney does not return my phone calls / emails. What can I do?

Communication between attorneys and clients is important. If you believe our office can help communication between you and your attorney, you can fill out our complaint/feedback form.

+ I want my attorney to file a motion, but my attorney refuses. The court told me I cannot file the motion myself. What can I do?

We encourage you to talk with your attorney about the motion, and why your attorney believes (s)he can’t file that motion at this time. If you have done that, and still have a concern, you can fill out our complaint/feedback form.

+ I want to fire my attorney, but the court told me they cannot appoint another lawyer. Is that correct?

Courts are not under an obligation to appoint a new attorney for you if you terminate the relationship with your court-appointed-attorney.   If your attorney withdraws due to a conflict, or some other reason, then the court should appoint a new attorney for you.

+ What are the rules for court-appointed attorneys?

Courts and respondent parent attorneys in dependency and neglect cases are required to follow Chief Justice Directive 16-02 and the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct.

+ My attorney is doing a great job and should be commended. Who should I tell?

The ORPC welcomes feedback from parents. You can fill out our feedback/complaint form.

+ My child’s guardian ad litem is not listening to my children. What should I do?

Parents can contact the Colorado Office of the Child’s Representative for issues regarding a guardian ad litem.

+ My child is being abused in their foster home. What can I do?

Parents can contact the Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-844-CO-4-KIDS.

+ My family’s caseworker is not doing his/her job. Where can I file a complaint?

If you feel you have been or are being treated unfairly by the county department of human/social services, you may contact your caseworker’s supervisor, the director of your county department of human/social services, and/or your county grievance coordinator. Your grievance may also be reviewed by a citizen review panel upon your request if your grievance has not been resolved to your satisfaction. (C.R.S. § 19-3-211). Parents can also file complaints about human/social services with the Colorado Child Protection Ombudsman.

Contact Us

Questions? Concerns? Comments?  Contact us!